Sunday, May 5, 2013

Another Day In Paradise

This is another one of those songs that moves me.  Musically is is interesting and beautiful.  David Crosby's harmonies and the occasional harmonics (the pinging bell-like tones) on the guitar make it stand out as well as Phil Collins powerful percussion.

Long before I saw the video, the images of the song haunted me.  It simply makes me AWARE that I have it made while others struggle.  I have so much while others have so little.  I worry at the size of our electric bill while others have no place to sleep.  This song is a wake up call.

The first 8 lines of this song say so much in so few words.  That is the power here.  In 50 words or so, we are drawn into a story of poverty and abundance, cold and comfortable, desperate and embarrassed to be there.  While this song has a 90's sound - to me it is a timeless reminder of the gifts I have been given and my responsibility to make a difference.

"Another Day In Paradise"

She calls out to the man on the street
"Sir, can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep,
Is there somewhere you can tell me?"

He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh think twice, it's another day for
You and me in paradise
Oh think twice, it's just another day for you,
You and me in paradise

She calls out to the man on the street
He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
Can't walk but she's trying

Oh think twice...

Oh lord, is there nothing more anybody can do
Oh lord, there must be something you can say

You can tell from the lines on her face
You can see that she's been there
Probably been moved on from every place
'Cos she didn't fit in there

Oh think twice...


No comments: