Saturday, April 27, 2013

Russians

During the Reagan administration we were pretty heavily into the MAD diplomatic policy with the Russians (Mutually Assured Destruction).  That meant that we "knew" that the Russians would never attack with nuclear weapons because we had enough stockpiled to destroy them MANY times over.  If they destroyed us - we would most assuredly destroy them.  Mutually Assured Destruction.  Sound like a good safety net?  Sound like a sane way for the two most powerful nations ON EARTH to act?  

  For younger folks, there is no way to really get across the sense of fear and darkness that accompanied the cold war.  Well before Sting and "Russians", back in the early to mid-1960's, when the cold war was at it's height, we had bomb drills at school.  Imagine a class of 30 or so second graders doing the old duck-and-cover position underneath our desks.  Like that would do anything to protect us from a nuclear attack.  It just sacred the crap out of us.

When I first heard this song it gave me chills.  It was 1985.    Years before the fall of the USSR.  Before we had children of our own.  But I was teaching 2nd grade and I God-Blessed him for putting into words what most rational people were thinking (this excludes almost everyone in the Reagan administration).  

We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
What might save us, me, and you
Is if the Russians love their children too


If you don't listen to the song, please just read the words.  What a time capsule.





"Russians"
In Europe and America, there's a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets
Mr. Krushchev said we will bury you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It would be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too

How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer's deadly toy
There is no monopoly in common sense
On either side of the political fence
We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

There is no historical precedent
To put the words in the mouth of the President
There's no such thing as a winnable war
It's a lie we don't believe anymore
Mr. Reagan says we will protect you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
What might save us, me, and you
Is if the Russians love their children too

1 comment:

Nic said...

It became 'not cool' to like Sting at one point. I think it probably still isn't cool. But I like Sting a lot. So it's a good job that I don't mind not being cool. :)