Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Forever Young

There are lots of Dylan songs that I could choose for my month long look back at favorite tunes.  Some of the very first songs I played on guitar were from my first songbook given to me by my old friend Joe Oceans.  It was called, "Bob Dylan; A Retrospective".  They were among the first songs I could play on my own.  And God Bless that old Joe Oceans for giving me that book, buying my first guitar for me from a pawn shop for $60 bucks (a 3/4 sized TOYOTA).  I knew this tune many years ago and recently relearned it.

Forever Young is sort of a lullabye, or maybe just a great birthday song.  It just oozes good feelings  and kind wishes.  It is a song that passes on blessings to the recipient.  It is a dare to live up to high standards of honesty and integrity, kindness and courage.  He does two versions on Planet Waves.  
My favorite is the faster one.  If you are new to this song, and you don't like the sound of Dylan's voice - you are not alone.  But give it a listen.  If this song doesn't get you, nothing will.


Forever Young
May God bless and keep you always 
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others 
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars 
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young 
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous 
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth 
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous 
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young 
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy 
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation 
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful 
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young 
May you stay forever young.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Funny, I've never got along with Bob Dylan. No idea why. Perhaps it is because he is one of the ones that we didn't listen to as much when I was a child. I was forced to listen to Leonard Cohen instead. Oh, the pain... Only in my thirties am I beginning to appreciate how clever Mr Cohen is. I'm sure Dylan is too, come to that, but I am still not drawn to listen to him.