Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Life in the Woods


Living in the woods is the wild place to be. You never know what you're going to see when you walk outside. 







There is incredible diversity of animals and plants in this small area. There are spiders, frogs and toads, lizards and all different kinds of birds and insects. Every day is different than the day before. 

This morning I saw a garden spider, I think it's called an argiope. She had the coolest zigzag pattern in the middle of of her web. When I was watering the garden this great big American toad seemed to


just soak up the water that I was splashing around. I think it was grateful that I was watering. When I checked the bluebird box there were four little ones
craning their necks trying to get food they thought I had brought. And all of this took place in the span of about five minutes.


I know some people who hardly ever go outside. These people are afraid of every kind of animal. Even the thought of a mosquito bite or a bee sting makes them fearful. I don't know how people like that can enjoy living here. I mean they could be anywhere.  They could be in Minnesota or southern Florida it would all

be the same because all they would see are the four walls around them. The only air they would breathe would be conditioned.

When the weather is hot I'm sure my shirt is going to stick to my back and sweat is
going to drip for my eyebrows and onto my glasses. But I get to see the beautiful creatures that live naturally all around us.  I get to be a part of the same existence since we share the forest. 

I feel so blessed when I'm out and I get the chance to see a bumblebee buzzing around, knowing that our existence depends largely on that animal doing its job. When I see a hummingbird going from flower to flower in our garden I know we have provided some little treat, some small bit of sustenance for that beautiful creature.

The pictures in this post I took with my phone camera.  They may not be great works of art, but now I have pictures of many of my neighbors, some of my best friends, right here in my pocket.

No comments: